Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: BIND-8.2.2p5 exploited?

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () LEWIS ORG>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:02:36 -0500

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 dev-null () NO-ID COM wrote:

hello i manage nameserver running BIND-8.2.2p5 and notice it die
recently... i go examine server to see the problem and i move to named
directory and notice directory name ron1n in there immediately i call
friend and we close down to server to examine more..... he tell me
above version not vulnerable to nxt bug and cannot understand why
named die and why that directory exist in named root..... was my
nameserver hacked?? i thought named running with chroot method stop
hacker from breaking my daemons??? we look at isc.org and no report of
above version being vulnerable... what could problem be?

Were you able to tell from the files installed and their dates when the
intrusion may have begun?  Late this past friday night, Paul Vixie
announced that there was a serious security hole found in bind 8.2.x, and
that everyone needs to upgrade to either 8.2.3 or 9.x in a hurry.  I don't
know if there are exploits for this hole already, and he wasn't even very
specific about what the hole was...but I'm sure if you study diffs of the
last 8.2.2 version and 8.2.3 you could figure out where the hole is, and
someone could have already written an exploit.

--
 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |