Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Template Admin Notification

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:35:39 +1300

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:30:45 -0700 "Forrester, Mike"
<mforrester () HSACORP NET> wrote:

- Source Ip's, ports, destination ips and ports, giving times
 (start and ending times), giving also the timezone (this
 is pretty important).
All this is good.  The accuracy of your timestamps and timezone info are
very important.  Especially the timezone.

I'll add a plea here:  Please use either UTC times or give your
timezone in offset from UCT (GMT).  Working out offsets from the
'offical' abbrevations is a right pain in the proverbial.  In some
cases I have trouble figuring out which country they are in.

Most Americans probably know where they are relative to the US
timezone, the rest of us don't, it gets even messier if you are in the
southern hemisphere and the daylight saving at opposite times of the
year.

Cheers Russell (who is currently UTC +1300, at the bleading edge ;-)