Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Upload of "pipes.scr" attempted to NetBus "honeypot"

From: "Sverre H. Huseby" <shh () THATHOST COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:32:33 +0100

[Dennis McHenry]

|   If it's a trojan, the author likes the long shots.  First to find
|   a system that's vulnerable to whatever exploit they're using, then
|   to get it onto a system where Pipes is the active screensaver.  I
|   don't know how it'd drop into the correct directory, either.  It
|   didn't seem like they were trying to get it into the Windows
|   directory (where it's installed by default).  Some virus, maybe?

The attacker wouldn't need to put it in the right directory, or wait
for the user to execute it.  There's a NetBus command for executing
programs (don't know if .scr files would be covered by that command).

Unfortunately, since I don't know how to correctly reply to the
UploadFileCommand, the connection is closed before we're able to see
the next step of the attacker.  I would guess an attempt to execute
the file would be a natural next step, but then again, I'm guessing
heavily here.

Sverre.

--
<URL:mailto:shh () thathost com>