Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Headerless EMail

From: "Forrester, Mike" <mforrester () HSACORP NET>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:02:08 -0700

We see this sort of thing all the time.  Either the lack of headers or
headers containing forged information.  The tools that most spammers use do
not add header information to the messages that it sends.  They use SMTP to
send the messages, but AFAIK it's up to the mailer/server to update the
header information.  Most of the time we get spam, the only reliable header
is the one generated by our mail server.

Mike Forrester - Systems Security Engineer
HSA Corp. - Denver, CO USA
mforrester () hsacorp net - +1 720 922 2545

"Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people.
And any solutions will have to target the people problem,
not the math problem." - Bruce Schneier