Security Incidents mailing list archives

FW: Win2k hack attempt

From: "Blake R. Swopes" <bhodi () BIGFOOT COM>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:19:15 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Turk [mailto:u4ia982 () hotmail com]
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2000 11:57 AM
To: bhodi () BIGFOOT COM
Subject: Re: Win2k hack attempt

Definately looks like msadc RDS flaw.  Based on the logs, I have seem to
have ruled out unicode.  I have tried so called "0-day" unicode exploits
(via perl, etc) and the logs made by that are quite different.  You actually
see the unicode string value in the log.  I didn't recognize any real
unicode strings in that.  There is a great IIS hardening guide here:
http://www.shebeen.com/iis4_nt4sec.htm  You really should be all sealed up
if you follow this guide.  Even if you miss a few steps, it is still pretty
much rock solid as far as I could tell.  Good luck.

Tony Turk

  Hi list,

  Please give your opinion its a bit wierd...
  Hacking attempt on my win2k server, please try to tell me what is wrong
with my
  system what is the hacking method taken ? and any other useful
information
will be great.
  I patched myself with all the patches available.

  the log is attached.