Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: odd scan

From: "Daniel R. Warner" <drwarner () SLEET LAKEHEADU CA>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 14:13:54 -0500

Those ports will be scanned to get a rough idea of what kind of box it is.
Unix-y hosts usually have ports 23 and 79 open, and windows hosts usually
don't.
Port 81 is a common place to "hide" a webserver if you don't want people
stumbling across it.

Hope this helps!
Dan

Kevin Holmquist wrote:

Any ideas why they would check ports 23, 79, 81? I know 23 is telnet and 79
is finger, but I haven't seen exploits for those lately (other than telnet
being insecure).  Also, why port 81? Any new exploits for these ports?  I've
seen reports of scans for 23 and 81 on sans.org, but noone seemed to know
anything about them.

BTW, this is from snort, using snort.org's full ruleset dated 1/25/2001.
snort didn't recognize the scanner used...

Thanks!

Kevin