Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Interesting scan

From: Dave Booth <dbooth () CARLSON COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:22:52 -0600

Yoann LeCorvic wrote:

> I don't know what he is looking for... Could also be a DOS Attempt,
> but  I have never heard/seen this before. What you should try to do
>  is to get  a packet trace of one of these scans, and check the
> contents. As it's  telnet, an IMAP, he may just try to get the
> password or things like that...

I've already got a tcpdump running in the background on that box looking
for telnet and imap packets. Nothing yet which doesnt surprise me since
its a fairly infrequent scan but if I get anything it will come to the list.

> ... he isu sing  an automated tool that scans for IP Addresses
> sequentially,

yes, its clearly a sequential scan and its doing "something" to my dsl
router too since those "get_ip_mtu returned zero" errors are syslog
messages from my cisco 675 and only appear coincident with this scan
pattern. Its odd because like yourself I've not seen this pattern in all
my years of running firewalls, hence the initial posting.

--
Dave Booth, CWT-IT
dbooth () carlson com