Security Incidents mailing list archives

ddos-stacheldraht server-spoof alerts ( Was: What is this?)

From: Rod Longanilla <SecTraqs () nm2 com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:54:09 -0800

Hello,

A client of mine has recieved over 2000 alerts from 1600+ unique IP's with
this same signature in less than 1 months time.  Most of the IP's are from
cable modems, a/dsl lines, and even dialups.  The IP's usually hit 1-8
times, then (rarely) never again.  The ID is 666, and Payload is of Length
4, with:
  000 : 3F 3F 3F 3F  ????

Snort matches the ID, but the payload doesn't seem to match what is listed
on Whitehats.  All systems behind the firewall are mainly Apple Macs or
Windows (NT/2k) boxes, and we have detected nothing to indicate ddos
scripts/zombies running.

From Andreas post, I believe too that these are false positives and probably
from napster.  The clients site has a few Napster users, and in the last 3
days the ddos alerts have picked up.  However, I can't seem to find any
alerts for napster use (snort records them too) corresponding to the ddos
entries.  I'll have to test a few scenarios out.

I'm still watching and recording the alerts until it can be absolutely
proven these particular alerts are just false positives.  So if anyone has
further information what can possibly be generating these, please
post/reply.

Thanks,
  -Rod Longanilla