Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Scans From 192.168.0.134

From: "Jon O." <jono () MICROSHAFT ORG>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 09:51:27 -0800

Doug seems to have sent this message because he didn't understand how
these 'non-routable' addresses are getting picked up by his IDS that
traverses his 'main' router. I assume main router means border router, or
the router that carries his internet traffic. Also, the term
'non-routable' is really causing some problems for many people so I hope
this can help stop the confusion. They are called non-routable because
*you* are NOT SUPPOSED to route them. If you use these addresses in your
LAN, block them from leaving your border with ACLs because they should be
translated (to a routable, valid address) before they leave your network.
Many ISPs block these addresses at the edges and core parts of their
networks. I figure Doug's ISP might not block these addresses so a network
close to his is sending these packets. I say close because they should
have gotten picked off by some anti-spoofing, anti-RFC1918 ACLs if they
hit an ISP with even a little clue.

NMAP scans can send a bogus source, but you shouldn't be allowing RFC1918
addresses into or out of your network in the first place. If you see them,
tell your ISP that you want them to block these addresses also. If you're
not part of the solution...

Thanks,
Jon

Chief Network Henchman