Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: norton AV host discovery scan

From: "FatFinger" <fatfinger () uol com br>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 12:52:50 -0300

Ian,

This port relates to Intel Ping Discovery Service (Intel PDS). It is used by
NAV to scan the network and find NAV Servers/Clients.

When the NAV Server "pings" the network, it tries to ping port 38293 to find
NAV Servers. These NAV Servers has a list of clients that it manages. So,
Symantec System Center (console) can show you all your NAV Domain.

Your server will always receive connections from other NAV Servers because,
every 60 minutes (by default), there's a pooling coming from NAV Clients
(rtvscan.exe) trying to connect to 38293 to pull definitions and
configurations.

'Till the date, I didn't hear any vulns in this service.

Hope it helps