Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: some "scanned with SSH-1.0-SSH_Version_Mapper. Don't panic." in syslog

From: "Matthew D. Close" <mclose () exodus net>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:44:21 -0800 (PST)

The SSH-1.0-SSH_Version_Mapper is from a scanning tool called scanssh.
You can find it at http://www.monkey.org/~provos/scanssh/

I've seen a substantial increase in ssh scans over the last month or so.
Probably a result of the recent vulnerablities listed on CERT.

There seem to be two types of scanning going on, one that looks like
scanssh.  Then another that's a SYN scan, with a normal reconnect to port
22 if the first scan found anything open.

matthew