Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Voluminous SSHd scanning; possible worm activity?

From: Sam Ferrell <ferrell () tns utk edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:28:50 -0500 (EST)

There are options like AllowHosts and DenyHosts in the sshd2_config file
as well as other controls to prevent root from being able to ssh.

Sam

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Paul Gear wrote:

--- Bertrand Lupart <Bertrand.Lupart () iteam org> wrote:
        For my own part, on top of upgrading to the latest versions of SSHd,
        I'm recommending that folks utilize IPchains or IPFilter to reinforce
        their explicitly-defined AllowHosts directives in sshd_config.  These
        measure in themselves should greatly mitigate both the present (and
        hopefully, future) threat of successful remote attack on SSHd.

Are we safe if the attack is run from a host not listed as accepted in
access control files, ie:

/etc/hosts.deny:
ALL: ALL

/etc/hosts.allow:
sshd: www.xxx.yyy.zzz

Only services that are launched using tcpwrappers will check the
/etc/hosts.* files for access permissions.

Your can use tcpdchk to analyze your wrapper config:

That's not strictly true.  Anything that uses libwrap uses it, which includes
recent versions of OpenSSH (at least on Red Hat Linux - i believe it's a
compile-time option).

PDG