Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Voluminous SSHd scanning; possible worm activity ?

From: "Philipp Stucke" <philipp.stucke () t-online de>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:59:11 +0100

Hi,

I couldnt download that specific file because I'm getting a 404 error, so I
can't
judge for sure, but Norton AntiVirus is really not scanning good when it
comes
to Unix files, and I think thats the same for McAcfee.

Most of Linux stuff is  recognized as "linux fork bomb" "linux logical
trojan" or
"generic worm", which is not really true and/or missleading.
Mostly, they judge linux exploits as some "malicious code" and so give you
the
result you got.

To sum it up, I wouldnt care if a windows specific scanner tries to judge
Linux
exploits/tools/programs ;-)

Maybe someone who has more knowledge on the detection routines of virus
scanners can light this up.

mcaffee reports the x2 file as containing the bleh unix worm ??

Regards, Philipp