Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Internal Machine making many attempts to connect to Internet on 137

From: "Robert Graham" <list-focus-incidents () robertgraham com>
Date: 12 Dec 2001 00:56:15 -0000

I wouldn't be so quick to cry foul.  The connections to port 137 seem to be
just regular NetBios name requests.  Windows tries to figure out what is the
name of the machine on the other end of some connection, and failing to find
it in DNS, it does a NetBios lookup.

You might want to read my writeup on netbios:
http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html#netbios

A good bet is that the server is Windows based, and is either resolving
addresses in real-time, or posting processing logfiles. It might
be the line:
168   MHSS           ->  80    TCP   D:\STATISTICSSERVER\MHSS.EXE
Which is probably doing all the reverse resolutions.

Note that you've got the Compaq process running:
216   Surveyor       ->  2301  TCP   C:\compaq\survey\Surveyor.EXE
Very bad -- wide open root exploit on this service.

You've also got SNMP running. Likewise bad.

I'm assuming these process 2301 and 161 are firewalled :-)