Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Voluminous SSHd scanning; possible worm activity?

From: Markus Friedl <Markus.Friedl () informatik uni-erlangen de>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:37:19 +0100

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 11:44:57PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
Maybe we're seeing some psychological effect here: In the past, people
tend to believe that SSH implementations were secure, apart from a few
rather esoteric defects without much practical relevance.

But there is just one single (one-year-old) bug that many
implementations share.  So what you see is that people don't upgrade
broken software.

Moreover, I think that malloc(0) can happen in many other daemons.