Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Full Plate of Crow

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 07:09:58 +1200

On Wed, 01 Aug 2001 11:52:09 -0400 Chris Brenton <cbrenton () altenet com>
wrote:

Alfred Huger wrote:

Alot of the people mailing me last night and this morning were sending
firewall logs, not IDS logs.

I'm one of them.

Agreed again. No packet decode, no confirmed hit. Otherwise we'll be
looking at greatly skewed numbers. Using that criteria I could claim
14K+ Code Red infected systems back in April (oh wait, Code Red was not
even around yet... ;).

I aso agree the we can not be certain that these are CR probes without
IDS fingerprints.  That said my data (from argus logs) measuring SYN
packets to non existant/firewalled machines shows and expoential
increase starting at midnight UTC and now I am seeing over 40,000
individual ips probing on port 80.  Starting at ^:35 (utc + 1200) I am
also seeing hits on the snort .ida rules ( 70 in the last half hour).

All very odd!!