Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: A new Code Red variant

From: Steve Halligan <agent33 () geeksquad com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 13:29:33 -0500

This is the sadmind worm.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Wunsch [mailto:bugtraq () tracking wunsch org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 1:07 PM
To: incidents () securityfocus com
Subject: A new Code Red variant

Glancing at my Apache logs, I noticed what looked like a
typical Code Red
hit at 11:50:59 CST from 61.141.213.162 (which resolves to a
name in .cn).
I fired up my web browser and pointed it at that IP,
wondering whether it
was defaced by CRv1, or looked normal (i.e., CRv2).

It appears likely to be defaced, all right, but not with the
usual CRv1
message.  Could we have yet another new strain out there?

In case the box has been cleaned up, I mirrored the defaced page at
<http://www.wunsch.org/mirrors/codered/>.  The text is as
follows, in red
on a black background:

fuck CHINA Government

fuck PoizonBOx

contact:sysadmcn () yahoo com cn

--
Take care,
Scott \\'unsch

... St... St... Stu... St... Stuttering Ta... Tagline.