Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 24 hour strobes from 10.0.x.x

From: Konrad Michels <konrad () overnetdata com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:05:55 +0100

I was even more perturbed when I called the support line of my upstream provider and the response was "huh?" and, after putting me on hold for a while, "Sorry, there is nothing we can do about it from here - call your account manager"!

What our account manager was going to do about it was a little beyond me, but I called her anyway. Her line was busy, so I left a message and have still not been called back! Surprise surprise!

Given the raft of problems we've had with our upstream provider to date, I can't say the response was unexpected.

Unfortunately, I inherited the firewalls when I got here, and while they are fairly decent ones, they have a windoze only gui (even though the firewall itself is a customised version of Linux & ipchains), which only allows me to deny packets and not drop them.

I was busy configuring a Linux box with iptables yesterday to put between the router & the firewall to create a black hole for the packets, but just before I finished, the attack stopped! Go figure!

--
* Please note that I will not be in the office     *

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com