Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Do you know any Day 0 hacks use port 139? (fwd)

From: Jason Spence <thalakan () technologist com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:07:16 -0700

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 03:01:33PM -0600, Blake McNeill developed
a new theory of relativity and:
My first guess would be that your seeing the effects of SirCam.  In addition
to being spread by email SirCam once installed looks for open file shares on
other machine on the network to infect.  It does this by check port 139.  If
you like, I have been keeping statistics concerning Red Code and SirCam on
my local @Home providers and have posted the resulting graphs on
http://members.home.net/mcneillb/.  SirCam first showed up on our local ISP
on July 19th or 20th and has been very persistent since then with anywhere
from 15 - 45 probes a day to my system.

That's weird, because @Home has filters set up for TCP 137-139 and 445
on my subnet that just drop the packets on the floor:

Port       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
25/tcp     filtered    smtp
42/tcp     open        nameserver