Security Incidents mailing list archives

backdoor in freebsd found..

From: Renee Teunissen <renee () wittenburg10c nl>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 14:25:45 +0200

Hi,

A few days ago I checked a clients machine for problems, sinds two
userid's where added. After some seaching, a run of nmap
I found TCP port 54 to be open and with lsof if found a small
backdoor installed as /usr/bin/getty.

So far as I can see it's just a simple backdoor, only connecting to it
with netcat didnt give me what I tought I should get.
Anyone any idears?
I've put the "getty" on one of my boss' machines,
it can be found on http://sms.pts.nl/renee/getty.gz (4KB).

Strings gives me something that could be a userid or something
like this. Anyone seen thisone before? And I think they got in
using a faulty telnetd.

Cheers,
Renee.