Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Was RE: disinfection tool -- now a minor rant.

From: "Marc Maiffret" <marc () eeye com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 13:24:27 -0700

I couldnt agree more. Dont get me wrong... I have said things to knock
admins in the past however the more i talk to administrators I find that
companies themselves make it a pain for administrators to sometimes even do
their jobs.

Two of the biggest things I from nt admins about security:
1. I am damned if I do and damned if I dont. A lot of times I have to wait
until late friday night or late in the evening to install a security patch
because company management doesnt want any downtime for our eCommerce store
etc...
2. I can not install XYZ Microsoft patch until we have tested it with our
environment to make sure its not going to break things. Funny enough a lot
of NT admin's seem to be more afraid patches sometimes then vulnerabilities
themselves.

those are generalizations and just examples but never the less i was a bit
surprised as i talked with a large handful of admins about this codered
ordeal.... i was especially (well not really) surprised about number 2.

Signed,
Marc Maiffret
Chief Hacking Officer
eEye Digital Security