Security Incidents mailing list archives

What use is the NIPC?

From: aleph1 () securityfocus com
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 18:07:13 -0600

This latest worm incident has left me wondering of what real use is
the NIPC. The certainly do not appear to be a rapid reaction force,
never mind that their web page defines them as providing "timely warnings
of international threats, comprehensive analysis and law enforcement
investigation and response".

Yesterday, I contacted the NIPC, informed them to the fact that a new
worm was on the loose, explained that it left behind a backdoor, that
I had a binary of it they were welcomed to have for analysis, and that
we would be happy to assist them in any way. The nice person I talked to
on the phone took down all of this and my information.

I've yet to hear from the NIPC. Not a problem. I am probably not the
only person to report the worm. They are probably busy with their
own analysis. But it is surprising that they have yet to put out
an alert.

I guess national infrastructure guards don't work on weekends.

CERT seems rather quiet on the topic as well.

--
Elias Levy
SecurityFocus.com