Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Increasing Port 137 Scan rate

From: "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonathan () cafejesus com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:44:48 -0400

Here's where I'm at with the whole netbios thing.  I called one ISP in
canada to inquire as to why I was seeing a bunch of these from their
network.  They told me that netbios name queries occur when some winders
based browsers hit a website, to determine if a particular name is in use
before the client uses it (?) .  I had never heard this happening before, it
was suggested to me that US networks may be filtering netbios out, and so if
all this is true, I am receiving them all from outside of the US most likely
due to the increased amount of web traffic on the 'net lately.

Haven't got a single one from inside the US consequently, but I may just be
lucky.