Security Incidents mailing list archives

Code Red in the media

From: Brian Cervenka <brian () zerobelow org>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:41:53 -0700 (PDT)

Just a bit of off-topic observation about Code Red

I find it interesting how the details about a phenomenon such as the Code
Red worm can get completely mutilated by the media. I generally don't
watch the (TV) news, and when users started coming to me with questions
about the worm, I attributed most of confusion to the users' failure to
pay complete attention to the story being told to them. But, last night I
was flipping through channels and noticed a news story on the 'Red Worm
virus'. Another news story was in the middle of telling people that the
only way to save your computer was to turn the computer off (failing to
mention that only certain computers will be vulnerable, and to patch the
system by rebooting and adding the software patches from Microsoft).

(Also, I noticed that last night didn't have nearly as many code red
systems scanning the net as before; there were only approximately 2 hits
on each of my web servers [determined by grepping web logs]).