Security Incidents mailing list archives

Something nasty

From: Adam Maloney <adamm () SIHOPE COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:53:05 -0500

I've attached an e-mail that I received to a few info@ accounts at a
couple of my domains.  The IP block that this originated from and the URL
references is in .NL, the whois information for upwatch.com is registered
in Amsterdam.

I think it's rather obvious that these people are trying to save time
nmapping the whole internet so they'd rather just have clueless sales
droids fill out the form that I presume would ask for what type/version of
OS, what software is installed, etc.  It would make compromising the box
pretty easy.

I haven't done much more investigation other than the above.  I didn't
want to go to the URL with any of my domains or serial numbers in the URL.

I editted the headers a little to remove some mail handling and
identifying information as to what domains this was sent to, other than
that the message is intact.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications