Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Attitude problem.

From: f4 () SILCON COM
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:20:28 -0700

David,

We have taken some flack but we have gotten good results from aggressively
sending "Cease & Desist" notices to the chain of providers leading to an end
user (who seems to be attacking).

Many ISP's do not respond, or a robot responds, but eventually (usually)
someone who cares takes notice.

George Milliken
farm9

From: Greg A. Woods [mailto:woods () weird com]
<snip>

Remember that end-user ISPs in general have literally no
responsibility
for the state of their customer's machines.  Of course they
must prevent
their customers from from doing really bad things, such as sending
packets with spoofed addresses, allowing open SMTP relays, etc., but
there's not much they can do about a rooted customer box except send a
warning to the customer (hopefully "out-of-band" so the cracker can't
"deal" with it!).
<snip>

I agree, but theres a big problem here.. Joe Q Cracker gets hold of
somebodys machine on, for example, the @home network... I as just another
sysadmin out there have no point of contact for the admins of that machine
apart from the ISP - Theres no way for me to query the ISPs data and find
out who owns that account and nor should there be. All I can do is contact
the ISP and tell them that one of their customers has a box thats behaving
suspiciously and may well be compromised. I HAVE to trust them to pass that
warning on and be alert to the behaviour of that machine. It would go a long
way towards improving the reputation of cable modem and other broadband
providers if they would at least confirm that they had done this bare
minimum. If anything remotely suspicious was coming out of my home LAN I'd
hope my ISP would contact me so I can fix it.... After all, my firewall is
as good as I can make it but I'd be a fool to consider my machines
invulnerable. Thats why I read lists like this one :)

Dave.