Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Quenching a QAZ quandary quickly...

From: Brad <gryphonn () austarnet com au>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 09:44:21 +1000

Sender: Robert Washam <rwasham () FNCI COM>
Subject: Quenching a QAZ quandary quickly...
Dated: 22 Sep 2000,
Time: 9:15

Well, it was fortune that brought Josh Brandt's post of 9/8/00 to my
door: The very day before, QAZ visited me.  And keeps coming back.
You feed these viruses and they just want more and more and... Okay,
so here is the question:  Since I am now the lucky owner of this
wonderful virus, how is it coming back all the time?

 1. I've replaced NOTEPAD.EXE with Norton's Quarantine/renaming
 note.com; 2. I've done Reg Search & Replace and there is NO SIGN OF
 ANY BAD
notepad.exe OR QAZ in there;

Is there any string in the
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key that begins
with 'StartIE=' ? If so, that will be the culprit (according to the
original form of this trojan). It is possible that the trojan was
renamed.

 3. The same machine gets hit every five to seven days;

Have you looked for any unusual executables that are in the 118kB
size range? Also (and I don't mean to insult your intelligence), are
you sure this system is not sharing itself with the outside world?

 4. It is on a private IP network (10.0.0.0) behind a Cisco setup for
 NAT
and with my SPECIAL access list to block most things/ports;
 5. The only other machine running Windows XX is an NT Server that
 APPEARS
to be fine.

I suspect Outlook.  But then again, I always suspect Outlook.  Anyone
know how it might live in Outlook?  I'm checking DOT files for
template infections, I've searched the infected system for note*.* and
even *qaz*.* but no luck.

Unless the trojan executable has undergone some major modifications,
it will not be a document template.

Any help, as always, is appreciated.

I have played with this exe (trojan notepad) a little and it didn't
replace notepad the system (under W98SE). I 'ran' the trojan under a
variety of different scenarios in many different directories and all
it did was create the reg key and run on start-up. It did do the
incremental port 139 scan on hosts across my ISP's subnet. It also
sent off my dynamic IP address to the freemail.yeah.net account.
Removal was a simple case of deleting the registry key and deleting
the executable.
Perhaps it is coming in from somewhere else. The NT box may be one to
check thoroughly.
Cheers,
Brad

Thanks,