Security Incidents mailing list archives

Strange traffic (fwd)

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () DIONE IDS PL>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 02:29:49 +0200

After several months of investigation, I decide to make this information
public, as I (and most of the people involved in this problem in some way)
can't see the way to solve this puzzle. I hope INCIDENTS readers could
support us. Let's start at the top of our iceberg:

Belsow you will find almost extact mail I've sent to exodus.net regarding
the activity we have noticed some time ago. I fixed some typos, cut some
parts and added few short explainations to make it more clean, but the
main sense is still the same. Firstly, I wanted to send it to
abuse () exodus net, but it seems to be spam-reporting address only (?), so I
tried hostmaster@, root@ and support@ as well. I haven't received any
response (well, I expected that) and I'm doubt if any response will ever
arrive, so I'm sending it here. The only thing is that activity
disappeared almost immediately after my e-mail and never came back. I am
somewhat disappointed with Exodus, but I am not going to re-send this mail
again and again hoping for a response - feel free to comment it.

During the investigation mentioned in this mail, we have noticed really
interesting activities from several other systems as well - for example,
some not really ugly examples of client invigilation done by the biggest
web companies. But for now, we are not going to start the hype, and would
like what readers of this list think about the activity we have seen. One
day, we might report other observations as well.

For polish-speaking people (you are lucky!), full documentation can be
found at http://lcamtuf.hack.pl/wtf/ - it currently almost 240 kB of logs,
hypotestis and analysis. It couldn't be done without extensive support
from numerous people - http://lcamtuf.hack.pl/wtf/wtf-1.html - which were
known as the RST+ACK team. Praise their work. I would like to thank jam,
smarkacz, szur, MadKarrde, neq, poncki, and LinuxNews.pl team at the
first. No english translation is available for now.

Michal Zalewski,
founder of the "RST+ACK project"