Security Incidents mailing list archives

[no subject]

From: Abe Getchell <agetchel () KDE STATE KY US>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:43:11 -0400

Hey Mike,
        After thinking about this a little further, something here doesn't
seem quite right.  If all of Mirror Image's sites are 'sending out an RTT
packet' to our DNS servers after it receives a name resolution request,
wouldn't we be seeing one connection coming from multiple IP addresses
instead of multiple connections from one IP address?  I would assume that
'all of their sites' would show up from different source IP addresses...
unless they are doing some sort of NAT on a firewall of their own of
course...
        Assuming what they are saying is true, I think you hit the nail on
the head; not only is it a poorly designed piece of software, but it's
ridiculous to assume that all clients which made a request would be
reachable at all on an arbitrary port.  Also, why would you assume that a
client's DNS server is anywhere _near_ the client itself?  Heck, I could be
using a DNS server on a sister ISP's network across the country which could
have a much lower response time to a site then too the client itself.  But
that's a different discussion for a different day. =)
        It'll be interesting to see what some of the other ISP's say.

Thanks,
Abe

PS-Come to think of it, I wonder why Cisco's Distributed Director would
assume that a client wouldn't be behind a Cisco PIX firewall that would be
dropping this type of traffic? =)

Abe L. Getchell - Security Engineer
Division of System Support Services
Kentucky Department of Education