Security Incidents mailing list archives

QAZ hitting MS

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:40:21 +0200

Just a few comments on QAZ hitting MS

Fact 1

Remote Access Trojans can be used to go around ANY level of defense
(firewall,
packet filters, strict access control, biometrics, etc... )

Fact 2

Microsoft has blurred the distinction between data and code to an
extreme
point - the ActiveX - Outlook - Exchange - Word - VBS - VBA cocktail is

explosive.

Fact 3

There will always be, at Microsoft and everywhere else, people who will
run
unknown code without understanding the underlying risks. Clever people
too.
Education will not help the distinction is not obvious.

Given Fact 1 + Fact 2 + Fact 3, it is OBVIOUS that there is no way to
build a
secure architecture with the current integrated model.

Commentary

I am a bit tired to repeat this. When Melissa struck, I said that if
the mail
servers of the military organizations that were hit yielded to 100
lines of
VBS code, the lesson to learn was that the architecture was vulnerable.
Not
that hackers should be harshly punished.

I repeated the same with LoveLetter - I still remember that law
enforcement
officer proudly displaying the evidential floppy and claiming, after
weeks of
investigations, that close to 40 people had collaborated on the
virus/worm.
Laughable. The architecture proved to still be (and even more)
vulnerable.
While we have so far avoided another large scale incident, we still
haven't
changed our habits.

In this case, after its entry in an organization, QAZ spreads through
the use
of unprotected network shares, somewhat ironically a feature that also
appears
on the most top 10 vulnerabilities list...

To cut a long story short - I am sure I won't be the only one to
comment on that <G>,
they got blasted because someone ran hostile code  within the
supposedly safe
boundaries of their network - let's see what they  do about it and
let's hope they
don't solve the problem by firing one guy here  and there...

---
Pierre Vandevenne - DataRescue sa/nv
Home of the IDA Pro Disassembler  -  Version 4.14 now available !
http://www.datarescue.com/idabase/ida.htm