Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: clean binaries

From: Tim Walberg <tewalberg () mediaone net>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:59:39 -0600

I don't know that it's necessarily "the best" way, but
the approach I would take would be to build a new system,
then burn a CD with the contents of /sbin, /usr/sbin,
/bin, and /usr/bin, and possibly stuff from /usr/local
or some other locations (you'll have to determine on
your own what you would need). I'd probably also
download a few additional tools that would be useful
for forensic or post-mortem analysis and put them on
the disk too. If you were feeling mor ambitious, you
could put everything you needed to make the disc bootable
on it, so you could boot off CD for post-mortem analysis
(then mount file systems r/o, etc.).

Not necessarily the most well thought out plan, but
it should give you somewhere to start...

                                tw