Security Incidents mailing list archives

Comments on Draft Convention on Cyber-crime

From: "Brooke, O'neil (EXP)" <o'neil.brooke () LMCO COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:20:34 -0500

Hello

        I am concerned about this particular article. If a computer system under my authority (whether a personal
computer or corporate computer that I am responsible for) is generating unknown or unidentified traffic, would I still
have the right to intercept these transmissions? Firewalls and Intrusion Detection Systems will intercept transmissions
and evaluate them, would I still have the right to deploy these tools?

Article 3 - Illegal Interception

Each Party shall adopt such legislative and other measures as may be necessary to establish as criminal offences under
its domestic law when committed intentionally the interception without right, made by technical means, of non-public
(7)  transmissions of computer data to, from or within a computer system, as well as electromagnetic emissions from a
computer system carrying such computer data.

(7) The Drafting Group agreed, at its 9th meeting (January 2000) on the principle that the terms "non-public" relate to
the transmission (communication) process and not necessarily to the data transmitted. It agreed to keep the term in the
text temporarily and to try to find some alternative language.