Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ^Madereet (or tmkit)

From: Opus <opus () IRCORE COM>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 12:33:36 -0600

I am taking a shot in the dark here, but the /var/named/ADMINROCKS
indicates you got compromised due to a older version of bind, i'd suggest
upgrading to bind8.2.2-p5 @ http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/

Opus

At this point, I have upgraded my gateway machine and shut all ports
except 22 and 80,
and continue examining the 'tm2.tgz' package more closely. A first
preliminary examination of
the package shows that it creates/modifies/exchanges the following files
:

        /etc/inetd.conf, /usr/sbin/time, /bin/lpr, /bin/ps,
/bin/netstat,
        /usr/sbin/inetd, /bin/ls, /var/log/secure, /var/log/messages,
        /sbin/rpc.statd, /dev/hdbp, /dev/hdaq, /dev/^Madereet,
        /dev/^Madereet/.backup, /dev/^Madereet/other,
/var/named/ADMROCKS.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions or feedback.

Best regards,
Kristinn Torfason
quirc () quirc com