Security Incidents mailing list archives

Looks like a duck...quacks like a duck...

From: "Jay D. Dyson" <jdyson () TREACHERY NET>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:45:35 -0800

Hi folks,

        I figured I'd pass this along for consideration and review.  The
following was received at a staff distribution address at another site.
While I haven't confirmed this is a genuine Outlook trojan/worm, it has
all the markings of such.  Namely:

        1.      The message was unsolicited

        2.      Tell-tale generic subject and body

        3.      Microsoft executable payload; the payload (wishyou.zip)
                contains Music.exe.  Interested parties can snag a copy of
                the binary at http://www.treachery.net/~jdyson/wishyou.zip

        4.      Sender was using Microsoft Outlook Express (which is
                notoriously vulnerable to this sort of thing)

        A cursory review of the binary indicated that the executable calls
wininet.dll.  Doubtful that a music player needs to initiate a connection
to the internet (all wisecracks about RealPlayer mercifully set aside).

        Here's the sanitized headers:

- -----BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE-----