Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Connection to port 137

From: Darryl Luff <DLuff () IITSCDM COM AU>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 12:34:11 +1100

Hi there,

We had 600 of these scans in the first two weeks of November. I haven't
counted them up lately but they seem to be increasing every day. If you
check the source address (net view \\ip.address), I think you'll find a
windows machine with a writeable share published to the internet. The ones
I've looked at have been infected with one of the automated worms currently
doing the rounds. These things are a bit of a worry, just from the amount of
traffic they cause. Every infected machine starts automatically scanning
random IP's looking for new victims, and infecting the ones it finds, so the
traffic increases daily.

There was a link to a good writeup on these worms published recently either
here or on the firewalls list, but I've lost the URL.

Unless you allow these ports in to any of your machines, or have windows
machines unprotected outside the firewall, I think the traffic problem is
worse than the security problem.