Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Happy Familiy- SOCKS, Telnet, and IRC

From: Nicholas Brawn <nickbrawn () ONETEL COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:55:13 +1100

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:48:50 -0800
Crist Clark <crist.clark () GLOBALSTAR COM> wrote:

Have something kind of neat here that I thought some of you out there
might find interesting.

I have been seeing SOCKS and Telnet scans from one host bouncing off
of a firewall for some time. Here are the scans from this week,

 9Oct2000  9:14:05   drop >hme0  tcp 203.101.17.225:41095 -> XXX.XXX.248.142:SOCKS 60
 9Oct2000  9:14:05   drop >hme0  tcp 203.101.17.225:41096 -> XXX.XXX.248.142:telnet 60

<snip>

The source is,

  Name:    irc.one.net.au
  Address:  203.101.17.225

After much toying with logs and tons of AWK and Perl fun, I managed to
correlate these attacks with outgoing IRC traffic from one host in our
network. The servers being visited have some interesting features as
well, but the machine scanning us was never visited. I am waiting to
hear from some admin at the external sites before I post any of the odd
stuff I noticed about the servers my user was going to, maybe in a
later post.

I assume there is some 'bot living on the scanning machine that hits
people it sees on IRC channels. Anyone recognize the signature? I have
not had any luck trying to track down other reports of such activity.

That would be our irc server doing proactive checks (as users log in) to check if users are bouncing off
wingate and/or open socks proxies. It is a commonplace practice across a number of irc networks.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
crist.clark () globalstar com                    Globalstar, L.P.

--
Secure email preferred. PGP key available on request.
Phone: +61 2 9025 7571 || Email: nickbrawn () onetel com