Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: More fun stuff from demon internet (ICMP/120 ?)

From: thomas () 88 NET (thomas lakofski)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 17:57:31 +0100

I think these things are a common problem.  For any legitimate connection
it seems that often you'll receive a bogus tcp or udp or icmp
packet.  Can't be munging packets completely, or they'd never get to me
(although i guess there could be many I don't see...), but a few of the
headers get swapped about or otherwise corrupted.

I asked them about it via their comments submission page (since i couldn't
find an address for their network operations centre or equivalent) and
they claimed that they have no broken hardware ('we use the latest
cisco's...' etc), to which i replied with lots of logs showing packet
munging.  No reply as yet (since 20000504).

I don't want to put the guy's address in this mail.  however, if any
incidents readers feel like contributing similar logging information to
bring some weight to these concerns, drop me a line.  maybe we can make
something happen to this 'fount of munged packets' as i seem to remember
it being referred to in a previous incidents mail.

cheers,

thomas