Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: auto-reporting to ISPs

From: wozz () LUVEWE BONCH ORG (wozz () LUVEWE BONCH ORG)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 19:24:10 -0700

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 04:47:44PM -0800, Robert Graham wrote:
Below is an e-mail from a customer who would like to see us add an
auto-email feature to our product in order to notify the ISP of the
offending hacker. This is pretty funny because we've already seen some
complaints by ISPs from such a feature in other products appear on this list
over the past couple of days.

Could abuse@isp people please send me e-mail:
* what is the proper way a product like BlackICE Defender should assist the
user in reporting such events?

I'm not sure there's any easy way to filter intelligently.  What I would like
to see though is a little blurb explaining why "common" actions aren't a high
priority.  I don't think end-users realize thatt there are hundreds of
thousands of kiddies online at any one time doing stuff like this, and only a
tiny percentage of them are actually dangerous.

Here is what I would like to see as an abuse@ person from BlackIce.

#1) A text version of the csv data.  I don't want to have to fire up a
spreadsheet program just to read this data.  It adds a little bit extra time
to every report I have to deal with
#2) a filter on any automatically sent data.  Many times I receive CSV's from
BlackIce users with thousands of lines in them, only one of which may be relevent
to me.
#3) Some alternate format to the .enc's.  I've emailed you about this before.
We don't have any Sniffers around to read the format, and the freeware readers
I've seen are horrible.  I'd like to be able to get something like a tcpdump
that I can scan through visually.  Again, its just something that will speed
each report up a littl ebit, but those little bits add up.
#4) a notice to the user before sending any automatic emails explaining to
them when is appropriate and when is not to report an action (ie, repeated
attempts from one host is ok, one packet from one host is not really worth the
trouble)
#5) some standard format for either the message, or an attachment with all the
ifnormation contained in the report in a standard format, so that they can be
automatically processed.  The IETF IDWG
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/idwg-charter.html)
may be a good place for this.

* what should I tell this user about why we haven't put such a simple
feature into the product?

I'd explain to them that its very hard to automatically classify attacks as
REALLY dangerous, and reporting petty attacks ends up just angering the abuse@
folks ;)