Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Dramatic increase in UDP Port 137 (NetBIOS Name Service)probeactivity

From: bryan () VISI COM (Bryan Andersen)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:23:15 -0600

The NETWORK.VBS worm seams like the best possibility yet.

I've been looking at my March packet header logs.

I searched them for packets from the IP#/16 networks that the
machines that scanned my net came from.

Of the 23 machines that scanned in March I don't have accesses
from any of the machines to any other ports.  Two of the
scanning machines scanned me twice (poor quality random number
generator?).  One scanned me with two different source ports
(137, and some high # incremented with each IP# at my end).

Of the searches on IP#/16 I get a few accesses to my web server
and some stuf that follows traceroute's pattern (from what
looks to be an admin machine for one of the ISPs I sent abuse
letters to).  All the web server accesses were atleast 72 hours
before or after the scan.

Stephen Friedl wrote:

I too have seen this behavior.  I block them at my firewall, but the
numbers have dramatically increased for port 137 scans that hit every
IP# in my micro net address range.  Before Feb I'd see one a month at
most.

This looks to me like the NETWORK.VBS worm. This propogates onto a
machine, and then sits and tries to infect random class Cs by looking
for shared C drives with no passwords. The scans are not terribly
fast -- takes several minutes to scan the full class C -- and you can
nearly always visit the machine and remove the virus yourself.

Mar 27 22:00:25 input PROTO=17 204.210.104.156:137 *.16:137 L=78 S=0x00

        $ nbtscan -f 204.210.104.156
        204.210.104.156 FUN\ANDRE                       SHARING
          ANDRE          <00> UNIQUE Workstation Service
          FUN            <00> GROUP  Domain Name
          ANDRE          <03> UNIQUE Messenger Service<3>
          ANDRE          <20> UNIQUE File Server Service
          FUN            <1e> GROUP  Browser Service Elections
          FUN            <1d> UNIQUE Master Browser
          ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP  Master Browser
          00:80:c6:f8:ec:3c   ETHER

If you visit their C drive, you'll find NETWORK.VBS in the root dir,
\WINDOWS, and in the startup folder. My practice of late has been to remove
these files and drop an "INFECTED.TXT" text file on their desktop and in
their startup folder to suggest that they stop sharing their drives, put
on a password, or get a real firewall.

This is a set from two sites very nicely meshed (Are they
racing each other?):

Mar 23 18:39:48 input PROTO=17 207.194.22.39:137 *.16:137 L=78 S=0x00 ...
Mar 23 18:39:48 input PROTO=17 200.200.200.1:137 *.16:137 L=78 S=0x00 ...

This is almost certainly a dual-homed machine that sends a packet from
each interface. The 200.200.200.1 address is probably a poorly-chosen
"internal" network number.

--
|  Bryan Andersen   |   bryan () visi com   |   http://softail.visi.com   |
| Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |