Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: typical DOS or something more sinister?

From: joe () ITS UNIMELB EDU AU (Joe H)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:10:42 +1000

Robert Graham wrote:

PS: I forgot to address the specific questions in the original query about
fraggles.

1. All are aimed at strategic points in the network (eg., broadcast
addresses)

Yes. A fraggle attack can really only be aimed at broadcast addresses. That
is the point.

The dest. addr is spoofed

Um. You can spoof a destination address. You can only spoof a source
address. Is that what you meant?

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

this has been happening almost every day for the last week
from different remote ip addresses (except that this is the
first time the ip is spoofed). At one stage two dest hosts
were simultaneously doing the same as above to the same network.

I'm not sure. You do mean "source address", don't you? Also, how can you
tell that spoofing is going on?

Yes, again "two source hosts...."
Well you can't definatively determine whether the source is a spoofed
address
Usually, if the ip address (or higher end range eg.
63.5.205.in-addr.arpa
returns proper SOA values etc) resolves then I'm inclined to think
the source is legit. (90% of the times remote admins reply with
apologetic
remarks about the actions of their users - the other 10% they don't know
what's going on). But the fact is you cant determine if spoofing is
occuring.

Q's
1. Why all of a sudden are ip's from all over the world targetting
_only_
  this particular network? (we have about two hundred others)

Because this is the only network that has been discovered by Echo scans and
registered in a fraggle amplifier directory. In particular, registries

Do you know the whereabouts of such a registry(s)?

usually indicate how much amplification is going on. If a broadcast address
only responds with 2 or 3 packets then it is hardly worth fraggling.
However, if it responds with 30, then it is a darn effective amplifier. This
means a person with a dialup line 33-kbps can generate 1-mbps of traffic at
a victim, even more when you consider that most modems use compression and
most T1 lines don't.

2. Why is it all port 7 only?

Mostly because script kiddies aren't smart enough to choose different ports.
Also, you have to find services that are running, not firewalled, and which
will respond to broadcast queries. Port 7 echo is the most common.

Is it possible that we are being used as a magnifier to launch
a larger attack (DDOS maybe) on another host/network?

99% probability.

Hmmmm.

Do you need to allow port 7 (echo) traffic from outside
your internal networks (ie., from internet) eg., for ping?

Are you responsible for firewalling these systems? If so, you should
definitely block it. The "ping" program uses ICMP echoes (protocol=1,
type=8) not UDP Echoes (protocol=17, port=7).

However, the root of the problem is that you've misconfigured your routers.
Your routers should be configured to not consider such addresses to be
broadcasts. You need to disable "directed broadcasts" on your routers.

You mean the line "no ip directed-broadcast". This is not on any of the
router interfaces (strange - all the others do!) that control those
nets.
Thanks Rob! This has been very enlightening!

/joe/

Rob.