Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: unknown trojan (attached)

From: jlgaddis () BLUERIVER NET (Jeremy L. Gaddis)
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 01:38:31 -0500

All right, I'm wondering why you, or others, feel that adding a password
to a zipped file is useful. I would have liked to take a quick look at
it, but I do not look at that sort of thing on a windows machine

There are several hundred users on this list.  Many of them are subscribed
at work, where incoming e-mail passes through virus scanners.  Most virus
scanners are smart enough to decompress zip files and scan their contents.
If a virus *is* encountered, the message is usually just discarded.  This
wouldn't do me any good if a virus scanner found out what it was, but just
discarded it.

Please, either take the password off the file at your site, or help me
to understand why you feel that adding a password is useful. Yes, there
are ways around it (for me), but you are asking for help or advice.
Adding a password (that you announced to the list, anyway) does not make
zip in any of its incarnations more secure. Use pgp for that.

I wasn't trying to "secure" the file, just allow it to pass through virus
scanners.  The file is also available gzip'd, at:

http://www.blueriver.net/~jlgaddis/trojan.exe.gz.

-jg

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis   <jlgaddis () blueriver net>