Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: afs3 exploit??

From: seb () SC ESF EDU HK (Sebastian Ip)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 18:15:58 +0800

7007 is used by windows media player encoder. Such site as
http://www.radiorepublic.com uses such encoders.
Just two cents.

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Charles Clancy wrote:

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Cold Fire wrote:
On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 01:30:07PM -0500, elijah wright wrote:
dear bugtraq,

is there a new afs3 exploit making the rounds?  i keep getting connections
to port 7007, afs3-bos (basic overseer process) even though i've never
touched afs3 in my life.  :)  ideas??  obviously, the connections are
coming from hosts that are foreign to me and look fairly suspicious. :)

I saw this recently, don't know if its connected but I'd assume that
its a trjoan rather than AFS as its running on a dialin user's windows
98 box, I may be wrong on this because I have no knowledge of windows
boxes and the only AFS machives I've seen have been unix servers running
Andrews File System. This may be a legitimate service in windows 98,
I've not been interested enough to investigate further.

AFS doesn't have to run on UNIX.  Transarc (the people who currently
license the AFS client/server products) make a Windows NT client.  There
are 3rd-party clients available as well, including "arla", the most
popular and fully featured.  It is conceivable that someone could have
compiled arla on a win98 machine.  I've seen it implemented as an FTP-like
interface, rather than actually mounting the remote AFS file system.

Also, you might check to see if your IP is listed in an ancient
CellServDB.  This is a file which the AFS client uses to determine the IPs
of AFS servers for different AFS cells.  Most people don't get the updated
CellServDB from Transarc when setting up AFS clients.

  -- Charles Clancy -- mgrtcc () cs rose-hulman edu --
      System Administrator, News Administrator
Computer Science, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology