Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Which DoS ? [Updated]

From: ieure () SICKFUCK ORG (Ian Eure)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:27:29 -0700

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Pluto wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Eric LeBlanc wrote:

I have one workaround: quota in /tmp, but superforker use the CPU and RAM
100%... result: overloading ressources, and crash.

Any solutions?

  If it's spawned from a bash or ksh, you have ulimit to lock the user to
given resources. limit for csh, but not as much features.

on my debian linux boxes, there's a helpful option in /etc/login.defs:

# Enable setting of ulimit, umask, and niceness from passwd gecos field.
#
QUOTAS_ENAB             no

manpage for login.defs says to go look at the passwd(5) manpage, but which
isn't very helpful. it says to add `ulimit=xxx' to the end of the comment
field, but neglects to mention the format. the only other info i could
find was for the bash builtin ulimit, which probably doesn't help
much. anyone know the format?

lshell is another good solution, it's a wrapper around the real shell
which can set limits for the user.