Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Biggest Incident This Week: Missing Hard Drives at Los Alamos

From: pierre () DATARESCUE COM (Pierre Vandevenne)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:10:07 +0200

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 18:45:11 -0400, Eric the Fruitbat wrote:

A.  Drives are stolen.  DoE officials refuse to say what's on the disks,
   but announce that the data are encrypted and would take fifteen years
   to crack if you didn't know the passphrase, by which time the data
   would all be obsolete anyway, so it's not really worth anyone's time
   trying to find them.

If they were stolen by someone who had normal access to the drives,
wouldn't he have known wether the data was encrypted or not and
wouldn't he have had the opportunity to install a password stealing /
keylogger / whatever was needed program ? I imagine that the people who
had access to the drives weren't given that right only to have the
opportunity to pay weekly respects.

BTW, what happened to the MI-5 laptop stolen a few months ago ?

---
http://www.datarescue.com/idabase/ida.htm
IDA Pro 4.1 - Yes, we have done it again !