Security Incidents mailing list archives

What's the current thinking on portmapper probes?

From: John Pettitt <jpp () CLOUDVIEW COM>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 21:04:26 -0700

I've had a couple of portmapper probes in the last two days - it's not
going to get them anywhere because I don't run portmapper.  However I was
wondering what the current thinking on this is - is it worth notifying the
owners and/or isp for the source machine?

John Pettitt                                     Email: jpp () cloudview com

"...'just say no' has done as much for drugs and sex as 'have a nice day'
has for depression." -- Dr. E. Tyson, Texas Medical Association

PGP keys on MIT & pgp.com servers.
Fingerprint: 81B5 446D 3E0E 1CDE 5A45  644A A744 54C4 7886 3658