Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port probe on 6666

From: Ed Padin <epadin () WAGWEB COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:52:47 -0400

I know that webtv can use a local ISP for dialup so that it has to get an IP
address that way. For normal access tho, they go through so megaproxies the
same way the AOL users do. I had one of these for a little while to quickly
check emails and stuff from the web. It became pretty lame after a while
because they never updated the technology....

anywhoo, I would ignore these errant UDP scans, especially when you have
just acquired and IP address through some dialup. There's all sorts of
garbage floatin around in cyberspace. If some one keeps actively probing,
pinging, poking and prodding then maybe you can be a little concerned. In
the meantime, get a copy of blackice or some other firewall software. if
you're using a *nix flavor then find ipfw, ipfwadm or ip chains.