Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New gnutella worm found in the wild.

From: Jeff Palmer <jeff () ISNI NET>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:38:55 -0400

System administrators who want to nip these types of viruses in the
bud,  can install procmail as the systems MDA.

I use procmail,  and then I added a very smart "html-trap" filter to filter
out certain file types..

such as .vbs .hta .exe .com .bat   and the like.
also filters out double extensions.

This really eliminates the "hmmm  let me click on this" moronic attitude
certain joe blow users have.

The neat thing about this particular recipe is:  you can choose to rename
the attachment to a non executable extension,  and include a note asking
the recipient to scan it first,  THEN rename and run it.  OR you could
chose to just drop all offending attachments (along with emails) to a
special file  such as /dev/null

If ISP's around the world would get together,  and FORCE recipients to .zip
executables, attached to email,    I feel viruses would stop spreading so
wildly.