Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Scanners using netcraft?

From: jericho () DIMENSIONAL COM (mea culpa)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:24:48 -0700

Hi,

netcraft.com routinely scans web sites and publish their
survey of http server software. See http://www.netcraft.com/.
They also scan port 443 (https) for the same reasons, and I've
seen them try to do DNS zone transfers although not recently.
I don't think their activity is harmful, probably just an
unrelated event.

It should be noted that Netcraft *could* be used for this quite trivially.
A user can pass any third party web server to the Netcraft query engine
(even via lynx and a single command) and find out the resulting server. So
a quick script to check entire class C networks would be trivial to write,
grep out a specific server, then throw attacks at them.

http://www.netcraft.com/whats/