Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: unusual UDP probes

From: rgula () SECURITYWIZARDS COM (Ron Gula)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 12:19:27 -0800

At 05:43 AM 1/5/00 -0800, you wrote:
 For a couple of weeks now, we've had our eyes on a strange little UDP
probe we've been getting.  It doesn't match any known signatures (based on
searching the whitehats.com arachNIDS database - which, by the way, is quite
nice - and other security sites and trojan lists).  The source port is
always a low port (p <= 1024) and the destination is either 41763 or 55021,
with 41763 being the more regular one.  It doesn't match the trin00 or TFN
profiles that have been posted, the volume is rather low (less than 10
packets a day per source address), and the probes don't seem coordinated
(though volume has picked up slightly since the new year).  Has anyone else
seen these in the wild or otherwise?  Any idea as to what might be
generating it?

Could you post some payload contect of the UDP packets?

Ron Gula
Network Security Wizards