Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Extrange named messages

From: rquinn () SEC SPRINT NET (Rob Quinn)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:04:36 -0500

Jan 27 01:30:54 orion named[123]: sysquery: nslookup reports danger
(3.188.161.205.in-addr.arpa)
Jan 27 01:30:55 orion named[123]: sysquery: nslookup reports danger
(2.188.161.205.in-addr.arpa)

I do not know anything about these messages: can anyone explain this, please?

 There are a number of DNS FAQ's at www.acmebw.com. Click on "Ask Mr. DNS" and
then search for "nslookup reports danger".

 For this example, I would say it's related to their NS records pointing to
in-addr.arpa entries instead of hostnames. I've sent them a note.

--
| Opinions are _mine_, facts                                     Rob Quinn |
| are facts.                                                 (703)689-6582 |